Thursday, May 21, 2009
Track and Field Day
Just started the new school year and already the kids have a day off! For track and field day. This is the first big event of the year at my new JHS so I wanted to take a bunch of pictures, but my camera ran out of batteries about 1/3 of the way through all the events. To start with, here is a picture of the front of my new school. It's way nicer and newer than the elementary schools I worked at.


Sports day is pretty simple. With in each grade there are 4 or 5 colors that form a team. When you win events, you win points for the team. Team with the most points at the end are the winners. There are also individual class awards. The day starts off with a pep talk by the homeroom teacher assigned to each group.




Then starts the opening ceremony with marches, speeches, flag waiving, stretching, and so on. Each homeroom designs there own flag and comes up with their own theme/motto. Some of the English ones were pretty amusing.



The the games began. All the basic track and field events were covered and the bigger kids don't do any of the fun type relay games that the elementary school kids do, so it was a straight up track and field event.

As I walked around with my big camera, a bunch of students would come up to me and ask me to take their pictures. In the first picture are Maya and Mai, 2 3rd years who made it a point to get me to remember their names. And it worked! Next is Ayaka. She is a 2nd year and was one of my very first 6th graders. She was dead set on getting me to remember her name as a 6th grader, and it's stuck with me ever since. She would also stop by the ES on occasion and chat with me. And the last picture is a bunch of my 6th, recently turned 1st graders.






There was also a group of boys I was pretty chatty with. One of them really wanted me to watch his relay race, so I made sure I did and cheered him one. He ended up winning which was nice. Also notable was the boys high jump. The boy in the pictures was absolutely amazing! But it was right about then that my camera battery died. Besides being really hot, there is not much more I remember about the day except that we had an amazing order in curry lunch. Yum!


Labels: , ,

 
posted by am at 6:36 PM | Permalink |


0 Comments: